If you have ever visited a dairy farm, met an Emu, tasted a squeaky-fresh cheese curd still warm from the vat, got lost in a corn maze, or picked your own strawberries under the same summer sun that sweetened them then you've been involved in ag-tourism!
Today less than one percent of our nation's consumers live on farms, with many being four to five generations removed from even knowing anyone that farmed. We are raising a generation of children who do not know how apples grow on trees, or how a gallon of milk gets into the grocer's cooler.
The members of the Wisconsin Agricultural Tourism Association (WATA) invite you to get in touch with the land -- whether at a farmstead bed and breakfast, a pick-your-own orchard, or a food discovery center.
We'll put you directly in touch with the "makers" responsible for locally sourced Wisconsin ag products. Through our members you'll meet producers, growers, famers, brewers, vintners, bakers, and cheesemakers. We're also your source for ag-tourism related events -- like food festivals, breakfasts on the farm, and fall harvest adventures.
You can apply or renew your membership here.
We welcome growers, farmers, bakers, cheesemakers, sausage markers, wineries, breweries, distilleries, corn mazes, food discovery centers & orchards, as well as festivals that celebrate Wisconsin products - like cranberries, cheese, and butter. Membership also includes CVB's, Chambers, grower associations and ag services businesses. Membership is just $125 for the calendar year.
Your Membership Benefits include:
- Promotion of your business/organization & events to the general public on our www.wiagtourism.com website.
- Resources, tools and updates through our monthly e-newsletter.
- Cooperative marketing opportunities through our media partnerships.
- A voice in advocating for best practices and legislation regarding issues affecting ag-tourism businesses.
- Educational workshops.
- Networking and learning at our annual Conference.
Here's a recap of what we've accomplished:
- Continued to educate members & non-members about the Wisconsin Agricultural Tourism Liability Law throughout the state.
- Continued help ag-tourism related businesses to learn more about the Limited Liability Law, Safety issues and marketing opportunities from our representatives with DATCP, the Dept. of Tourism, National Children's Center for Rural and Agricultural Health and Safety and more. Visit our calendar of events section to learn more about a session in your region.
- The added feature of allowing our members to post their events on our calendar of events section on our visitors' website "wiagtourism.com" dramatically increased our number of visitors to the website.
- Our first ever Discover Wisconsin episode aired in April 2015. Thank you again Busy Barn Adventures, Burr Oak Winery, Marshfield CVB, and Meuer Farm for partnering with us! A new episode will premier in April 2017.
We look forward to working with you and welcome any questions you may have about our organization. Please feel free to contact me at 608-235-5925 or firstname.lastname@example.org.